Generative AI: The Trillion-Dollar Game Changer for the Global Economy and Workforce
Get this: McKinsey's latest research is saying that generative AI could be a trillion-dollar game changer for the global economy. We're talking about adding somewhere between $2.6 to $4.4 trillion annually. That's a whopping 15 and 40 percent increase in the impact of all AI!
So, where's all this value coming from? Well, it's customer operations, marketing and sales, software engineering, and R&D that are set to benefit the most. Imagine having AI to interact with customers, whip up creative content, and even draft computer code. Sounds like a dream, right?
And it's not just specific areas that are going to see the benefits. Generative AI is set to shake things up across all industry sectors. Banking, high tech, and life sciences are predicted to see the biggest impact. Just in banking, we could be looking at an extra $200 billion to $340 billion annually.
But here's the kicker: generative AI could change the way we work. It could automate activities that take up 60 to 70 percent of our time. But, as with all good things, there are challenges to address. We need to manage the risks, figure out what new skills we'll need, and rethink our core business processes.
Here's a quick rundown of the top 5 takeaways from the research:
- Generative AI could add up to $4.4 trillion annually to the global economy by automating and speeding up human work. For example, customer service agents using generative AI resolved 13.8% more issues per hour.
- Generative AI could automate activities that currently take up 60 to 70 percent of our time. But, this transition would require significant re-skilling and investments from companies and governments to manage the associated risks.
- The value added by generative AI is expected to be concentrated in four job categories: customer operations, marketing and sales, software engineering, and R&D.
- Life sciences, banking, and high-tech are predicted to see the most revenue growth from generative AI.
- Generative AI is set to revolutionise the way we work and possibly the way we live. However, the question remains whether it will improve well-being and quality of life for the average person.
So, there you have it. Generative AI is set to be a game changer. But remember, even with all this AI, we humans are still essential. After all, this report was written by humans, not AI!
Subscribe to The Marketer's AI Advantage Newsletter